The history of the Château de Chenonceau is defined by a an almost uninterrupted succession of women who built, embellished, protected, restored and saved it. The first château was a medieval château dating from the 12th and 13th centuries, of which only the dungeon remains: the Tour des Marques. The château in its current form was built between 1513 and 1517, by Thomas Bohier and above all his wife, Catherine Briçonnet.
The château in its current form was built between 1513 and 1517, by Thomas Bohier and above all his wife, Catherine Briçonnet.
Chenonceau is home to an extraordinary collection of furniture, tapestries and paintings.
Rubens, Primaticcio, Tintoretto, Corregio, Van Loo, Murillo, Clouet, Sassoferrato, Andrea del Sarto, Ribalta, Nattier, Veronese, Poussin, Van Dyck, Bassano, Zurbaran… And the 15th-century Florentine sculptor Mino da Fiesole… These masterpieces by some of the greatest European painters of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries reflect the history of the château and the leading role played by women in this history.